Tashan

Reading is Therapy

I choose to read books instead of watching TV.

The Crowd: A Study of the Popular Mind
Gustave Le Bon
Les Deux Tours (Le Seigneur des Anneaux, #2)
J.R.R. Tolkien
The Quran
Anonymous
Stolen: A Letter to My Captor - Lucy Christopher I expected this book to be a 5 stars, or even a solid 4 stars but no. This was a meh book for me.
The first chapter lived up to my expectation : the tension during the encounter of Gemma and Ty in the airport was toying with my nerves. But then it all went downhill. I hadn't the patience to read description of their every single movements and facial expression when it was not about sand.

Ty isn't really evil, he's just really disturbed. He isn't sadistic, most of what happened to Gemma while she was captured was her own doing (i'm not blaming her, just stating) except the snake bite.

The most positive point of this book was that Gemma was a realistic character. She's trying her best to get out of here and to cope with being locked in with a psycho.
On the other hand, i didn't catch at all where the author was going with Ty. It was almost like she wanted us to sympathize with him, or at least to not hate him. Which i found weird. But maybe that was the beauty of this book for some people?

"Letter to my captor" is not an appropriate title for me, i consider this book more as a diary, with very little psychological depth to it.

And, let’s face it, you did steal me. But you saved my life, too. And somewhere in the middle, you showed me a place so different and beautiful, I can never get it out of my mind. And I can’t get you out of there, either. You’re stuck in my brain like my own blood vessels.

Edit : I can't help but add a note about the whole Stockholm Syndrome thing. I, as many other readers, thought we were going in for something really twisted, with a deep exploration of the stockholm syndrome that is, to my opinion, quite captivating. But this book isn't the one. Why? Because the other wrote a captor that we can't hate. We can scream all we want that "he fucking kidnapped a 16 yo girl" but in the end all the author focus on is how gentle he was to Gemma, how cute he is, how childishly innocent he is. There is also the whole "i took you out of civilization to save your soul" bullshit philosophy that surely appeals to young girls. So yeah, Gemma end up feeling compassion for her captor but it was not in any case a stockholm syndrom consequence, she didn't hate him because there was nothing to hate. And i quite despise that about the author. Maybe there are abductors out here that don't rape/beat their victims but no one should feel compelled to romanticize a kidnapping. That's wrong.